For over 20 years, Mr. Francy represented the legal interests of Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation both domestically and abroad. While at the Fortune 100 company, Mr. Francy focused on complex commercial transactions involving multiple parties and jurisdictions, including Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Latin America. He demonstrated expertise in asset-backed and structured finance, the assignment and purchase of receivables, complex international transactions, management of outside counsel and contract drafting, review and negotiation. Mr. Francy’s record of success and achievement was marked by a series of positions of increased influence, authority, and accountability until his retirement from the company as Senior Corporate Counsel in 2015.
- Negotiated and managed complex commercial transactions in the Americas, with a focus on large mining finance and structured finance transactions; supported the purchase or divestiture of large financing facilities on behalf of the Capital Markets Group through the drafting and negotiation of key terms of assignments, participations, and syndications.
- Managed the largest acquisition in the company’s history.
- Safeguarded the interests of the company in very large structured finance facilities focusing on complex greenfield mining projects on a global scale.
- Directed the actions of a team of 16 legal professionals in charge of corporate litigation matters and transactions; oversaw litigation with a volume of approximately 1,200 active cases having over 200 firms participating as outside counsel.
- Managed domestic and international financial transactions while maintaining accountability for a legal budget of ~$10 million.
- From Cat Financial’s Zurich office, oversaw all legal operations for a team of 10 legal professionals out of four office locations dedicated to providing legal support to the company’s interests throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- Recognized for consistently achieving Best in Class survey results, governing Engagement, Process Excellence, and Customer Satisfaction.
Education & Licensure:
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law
- M.B.A. (Finance, Operations, Marketing), The University of Michigan Business School
- B.A. (Honors in History), Northwestern University
- Licensure: Tennessee (Active) and Ohio (Inactive)