J. Bennett “Ben” Fox Jr. joined Adams and Reese in 2008 in Memphis after practicing for almost three years with a law firm in New Orleans. He is a Partner in the firm's Memphis office.
Ben’s practice includes civil litigation, media law and legal ethics. His general civil litigation practice is focused on transportation and logistics related litigation, commercial and personal injury litigation, and constitutional law issues. In his legal ethics practice, he assists with the representation and advisement of attorneys, law firms, their clients and businesses who deal with lawyers about all aspects of the law. Recent assignments have included defense of lawyers in disciplinary investigation and in administrative proceedings, counseling clients with disciplinary and other claims against lawyers, and advising law firms about complaints and claims. He also serves on the firm’s Ethics Committee. Ben’s media law practice includes representation of media outlets in a variety of matters, including claims and lawsuits for defamation or invasion of privacy.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Ben served as a Spanish interpreter in Memphis and taught English as a second language in Valparaiso, Chile. He also worked as an Auditor in FedEx’s Global Operations Audit Department, where he conducted management audits in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados, Scotland, the Philippines, Hong Kong and the United States.
His other significant contributions include:
- Working on class action lawsuits and other complex commercial litigation claims in transportation, energy, insurance, and health care industries as well as toxic tort claims.
- Representation of municipalities in litigation involving constitutionality of state voting requirements.
- Obtained early dismissals with prejudice of cargo claims against shipping industry clients.
- Experience with and client contact for numerous successful mediations and pre-trial dismissals against a nationwide trucking company regarding personal injury and property damage claims.
- Representing protection and indemnity clubs in claims involving maritime personal injuries, cargo claims, ship collisions and other maritime property damage claims.
- Worked on a trial team that obtained a defense verdict in a complex medical malpractice case.
Ben is a member of the Memphis World Trade Club and Memphis Traffic Club. Ben also speaks frequently on legal ethics and professional responsibility and has co-authored annual media law updates for the Media Law Resource Center.
Ben spends his free time listening to music, following his favorite sports teams, reading, and enjoying the outdoors with his family.