Federal Judicial Service:
- Judge, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Nominated by George H.W. Bush on August 1, 1991, to a new seat authorized by 104 Stat. 5089. Confirmed by the Senate on February 6, 1992, and received commission on February 10, 1992. Served as chief judge, 2008-2013. Assumed senior status on August 23, 2013.
- University of Tennessee, B.S., 1969
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1974
- U.S. Army lieutenant, 1969-1971
- Law clerk, Hon. Bailey Brown, U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee, 1974-1975
- Private practice, Memphis, Tennessee, 1975-1992